Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

More Gathering at Five Medals

Here are more views of the encampment. We’ll start with a photo of two young ladies nicely attired in colonial garb. I particularly admired them as they appeared to be quite at home in their period garb.


I got to the park a little after 12:30, and many of the reenactors were cooking their midday meal. The next two photos show something that particularly interested me. The young women were cooking roasted potato soup, and their campfire was suspended in a type of cradle. I’ve never seen anything like it before. They told me the Ojibwas and another tribe, which I’ve forgotten, used a similar type of device. I can see how useful it would be when the ground was muddy after rain.

This photo was taken at a camp where the woman shown was drying squash in a wooden rack over the fire. She had many gourds, squash, and other vegetables that she grows from heritage seeds, which she saves from her harvest year by year. She had packets of many different kinds for sale, and I meant to go back and get some before I left. But by the time I’d wandered around the camp for several hours, my poor knees were very unhappy with me. So I ended up limping all the way back to my car with a few treasures and heading home.

I must say, I’m not at all happy with blogger’s latest upgrades. It’s now impossible to resize photos manually in the post, so I had to set them all to small to avoid having text crunched when I use photos that are landscape orientation. Which means you have to click on the photo to get a good view of it. And when you move them around in the post, they break up the text. Not only can’t you can’t get a decent copyflow, depending on how you place them, they run over part of the text! Then to delete them, you have to go into edit html and delete the code. You can’t do it in compose view.

I wonder what other nasty surprises I haven’t discovered yet. I just love it how software companies and online sites “improve” their software or service so that it’s actually harder to use and lacks features that were particularly helpful before! Nice going, google! This is a perfect example of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!

Ah, well. Up in my next post: spinning and knitting. And as soon as I get the jpegs of the new Daughter of Liberty and Native Son covers, I’ll post those too. They are gorgeous, and I am soooo excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment